Saturday, March 9, 2013

Winter is coming (apologies to House Stark of Winterfell)

The night before last, I heard the Winter wind make its Winter noise at the bedroom window for the first time. And my feet were cold when I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning. Then, yesterday it rained, probably a good 5mm or so judging from how deeply the sand was wet. Yup, Winter is definitely on its way. *sigh*

I saw a change in the light/air a week or two ago already, when it was still February.  I never want to believe it so early in the year, but something about the quality of the light changes then already. Not quite enough to put your finger on, and you can almost convince yourself that you're imagining it. But you can only fool yourself for so long.  Once you hear the wind at the window and the rain starts, it's pretty much a sure thing.

Also, the figtree has lost most of its leaves already and the leaves of the hanepoot and the roses have started changing colour.  The sun only comes up at 6:45 and goes down at 19:15. By 8pm it is already dark while in Summer the sun isn't even down by then.  It feels like we didn't properly take advantage of the nice long Summer days at all. I think that every year. And it's probably true every year.

It's not so much that I dislike the Winter, it's more that when the seasons change, you really become aware of the passing of time.  As that is what bothers me.  It feels as if time is just rushing past without my really appreciating it.  And add up the days and the weeks and then the years are just flying past and we're getting older and it starts feeling as if time is running out.  I feel closer to a full-on midlife crisis at the changing of the seasons than at any other time during he year.  Especially when it is changing to Winter.  And it's not even past the equinox yet.

Maybe this year I will have my midlife crisis and shave my head and run away to India or something. Or maybe I will stop eating cheese or something life-changing like that. Get a tattoo or learn to meditate or levitate. Sort out all the clutter and go minimalist. Stop drinking coffee. Not bloody likely.





No comments: